Thousand Oaks Homeowner Credits SoCalGas Employee, First Responders, and ADT for Detecting Carbon Monoxide and Saving Life

Thousand Oaks Homeowner Credits SoCalGas Employee, First Responders, and ADT for Detecting Carbon Monoxide and Saving Life

SoCalGas responded to nearly 11,000 carbon monoxide calls last year

A Thousand Oaks homeowner credited a SoCalGas employee, Ventura County Fire Department, and ADT for detecting carbon monoxide (CO) and saving her life. Pixie Monroe recognized their collaborative effort during an ADT event Thursday. 

In late July Monroe believed she and her dog, Bailey, could have died of CO poisoning had it not been for ADT, first responders, and Othaniel Prado an Energy Technician Residential for SoCalGas. 
“I am indebted to the Ventura County Fire Department and SoCal Gas for responding quickly and taking direct action to secure my home and property,” said Monroe.

According to Othaniel he was merely doing his job, “The safety of our customers, employees, and public is foundational to SoCalGas, so I have to admit, I was a bit surprised to hear I was being recognized for the work I did that day.” 

Firefighters and Othaniel detected high levels of CO. Aaron Cohen Firefighter Engineer said, “We try to give the best service we can on every call, to be honored is a surprise to me.”

Monroe had her furniture professionally cleaned earlier that day not realizing lethal levels of carbon monoxide were seeping into her home. 

An ADT employee, Najee Freeman called Pixie to evacuate her home after the deadly fumes triggered multiple alarms. 

“We can let people know of the alarm, but without the fire department and gas company this house would still be filled with carbon monoxide,” said Freeman.
Prado’s role was to help find the source of the fumes. “The carbon monoxide was coming from the cleaning company’s motor exhaust which was parked too close to her air conditioning unit.”

“These professionals were heroes that day, and are deserving of high praise and recognition,” said Monroe.

In 2020 SoCalGas responded to 10,931 carbon monoxide calls and according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) every year, at least 430 people die in the U.S. from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. 

The stages of carbon monoxide poisoning produce unexplained symptoms, such as:
•    Sudden flu-like symptoms
•    Headaches, shortness of breath, fatigue
•    Nausea or vomiting
•    Dizziness, lightheadedness, mental confusion, drowsiness
•    Rapid or fluttering heartbeat
•    Unconsciousness

September is National Preparedness month and we want to remind people to have the proper carbon monoxide detectors and routinely check them because it saved Pixie and Bailey from a potential tragedy.

To learn more about the causes of carbon monoxide and what you can do to prevent poisoning click here. (Carbon Monoxide (CO) | SoCalGas)