Today, SoCalGas announced its bold commitment to achieve net zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in its operations and delivery of energy by 2045.
With this commitment, SoCalGas becomes the largest gas distribution utility in North America to set a net zero target that includes scopes 1, 2, and 3 GHG emissions. Our net zero target means SoCalGas would eliminate not only the company’s own direct emissions, but also those generated by our customers. By 2045, our fleet vehicles, the buildings we own, the pipelines we operate and the fuel we deliver to our 22 million customers across Southern California will be net zero emissions.
Our 2045 net zero goal aligns SoCalGas with the recommendations of the Paris Climate Agreement and reflects the company’s focus on supporting California with a resilient gas grid through the energy transition to support a carbon neutral economy.
“Our mission is to build the cleanest, safest and most innovative energy company in America,” said Scott Drury, SoCalGas CEO. “We will lead the energy transition by providing clean fuels and innovative technologies essential to carbon neutrality for California. Through collaboration and partnership, California can develop clean energy solutions at scale and serve as a global beacon for energy innovation.”
Leadership is not new for SoCalGas. Since the passage of the state’s landmark California's Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 (AB 32), our decarbonization, diversification, and digitalization efforts have supported the reduction of more than 7 million metric tons of CO2e below our 1990 levels – the equivalent of removing 1.5 million cars from the road for a year.
The future of energy will bring increased integration of the electric and gas systems. As we make this transition, SoCalGas will continue investing in infrastructure and technologies to maintain a system that delivers affordable, reliable, and clean energy.
Here are some of the steps we are taking to get to net zero emissions by 2045:
By 2025 to:
• Achieve net zero energy for 100% of SoCalGas’ newly constructed buildings and major renovations of buildings over 10,000 square feet.
• Replace 50% of SoCalGas’ over-the-road fleet with electric, hybrid, natural gas, and/or fuel cell electric vehicles.
• Establish statewide hydrogen blending standards.
• Complete five hydrogen pilot projects.
By 2030 to:
• Eliminate 100% of vented gas during planned transmission pipeline work.
• Achieve net zero energy for 50% of all SoCalGas existing buildings.
• Deliver 20% renewable natural gas.
By 2035 to:
• Operate a 100% zero emissions over-the-road fleet.
• Achieve net zero energy for 100% of SoCalGas buildings.
You can read our full Climate Commitment here.